The Maecenata Foundation is an independent tax-exempt operating foundation under German law, specialising in the subjects of civil society, civic engagement, philanthropy and foundations.It was founded in 2010 by Rupert Graf Strachwitz, who remains the chief executive officer until 2023. Two pre-existing programmes were incorporated into the foundation.
The foundation views itself as an independent think tank. Its mission is
- to further and promote knowledge and understanding of civil society (aka the Nonprofit and Third Sector) through research in the humanities and social sciences, academic teaching, and relevant publications,
- to participate in and organize the interplay between academia, politics and the field in regard to civil society and philanthropy,
- to enhance and empower civil society and philanthropy as a vital contributor to a free society,
- to further the understanding of civil society as a cohesive and yet heterogeneous arena in the public sphere,
- to contribute to this understanding through particular projects and by providing an overall picture,
- to offer specific services in connection with its overall mission, in as far as its tax exemption does not preclude it from doing so.
The foundation is strongly committed to transnational and transcultural exchange, intercultural dialogue, and interdisciplinary work. Read more
News from the Foundation
News from Civil Society